Thursday, July 27, 2006

Table Manners



Whenever a group of moms is together talking about their kids, inevitably the subject of feeding/eating will come up. What we feed our kids, how often, if they use utensils, their manners (or lack of them), etc... So, for those of you who are dying to know, here's what I generally add to these conversations.

I normally try to feed Isaac things I think he'll eat, and generally eats at least some of what I give him, although what he likes seems to change on a daily basis. When he's done, or doesn't want the food I've put on his tray, he says "No! Dutch" and then proceeds to throw the food onto the floor. The dog, who has not taken his eyes off Isaac the whole time he's been in the high chair, is in his glory as food is being tossed in every direction. Depending on how close I am (and my mood in general) depends on how much food I allow to be thrown before I step in with the famous words, "looks like your all done!" At this point Dutch is licking the floor and looking for any piece he possibly missed while I am trying to wipe off a screaming toddler's hands and face. And that's it... until it's time to eat again.

Anyway, the other day Isaac was having yogurt for a snack. After I fed him about 1/2 of it, I decided it was time for him to have some lessons in using a spoon. Here's the result:
Things started out pretty good- something for me to brag about during the next food discussion with the moms...



Then Isaac decided to his hand was more efficient than a spoon...

"Forget the spooon and the hand, I'm going straight for the good stuff."
Looks like I have some more work to do!





2 comments:

Amanda said...

I was laughing out loud as I read this! I love that he calls Dutch over to him - how funny!

Anonymous said...

I hope training is completed by next week. We don't have a dog so I'll have to lick the floor if a mess is made.